Per the rules of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, all livestock exhibitors (market and breeding livestock) must either attend a Quality Assurance Program (QA) or successfully test out of QA in order to exhibit livestock at the Shelby County Junior Fair or the Ohio State Fair. A parent or guardian of all junior exhibitors (ages 8, 9, 10, and 11) must also attend one of the sessions. Intermediates and Seniors who have not already tested out can do so one hour prior to the start of each QA session. QA can be taken in-county or out-of-county. Those exhibitors who take QA out-of-county are responsible for reporting and verifying what session they attended, as well as when and where.
2020 QA Dates
Sunday, July 5 at 6 p.m. - VIRTUAL via Zoom
Tuesday, July 7 at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. - VIRTUAL via Zoom
Thursday, July 9 at 10 a.m. - VIRTUAL via Zoom
Dates TBD in July once OSU Extension provides guidance for returning to in-person programming
Quality Assurance Test Outs
- In 2020, we will no longer offer test-outs at individual QA sessions. Instead, test-outs can be completed through the school's FFA advisor OR youth can set-up an appointment with the OSU Extension Office to come in and take the test-out at their convenience. Some weekend and evening appointments will be available. Please call 937-408-2535 to schedule a test-out. Test-outs must be taken by July 19th, 2020.
- Youth ages 12-14 who pass the test can test out of their annual QA program for up to 3 years. Passing of this test only exempts attendance at QA until the member reaches a 4-H age of 15. At that time, they would take the 15-18 year old test.
- Youth ages 15-18 years of age who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program permanently.
- All ages are based on a member's 4-H age (the age that they are as of January 1 of the current year).
What will be on the Quality Assurance Test?
This year (2020) the test will primarily be over the Good Production Practices 1, 3 and 6 but other Good Production Practices will be included.
We recommend that members study their 4-H Project Resource Book, focusing on the Quality Assurance section of the book.
You can also use the following references to study:
- Introduction to Quality Assurance
- Good Production Practice 1
- Good Production Practice 2
- Good Production Practice 3
- Good Production Practice 4
- Good Production Practice 5
- Good Production Practice 6
- Good Production Practice 7
- Good Production Practice 8
- Good Production Practice 9
- Good Production Practice 10
Junior Fair Market Animal Tagging & Weigh-Ins
Weigh in & Tagging Date: January 12, 2020 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. in the Beef Barn (In case of inclement weather, back-up date is January 19, same time)
For questions regarding the beef weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Chair Chad Huelskamp (937) 394-4908
Feeder Vaccination Dates: May 31, 2020 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Dairy Barn CANCELLED Feeder Booster On-Farm Vaccination Dates: June 14, 2020 12:00 to 3:00 p.m. | Forms Due June 19, 2020 CANCELLED
Weigh in & Tagging Date: May 3rd, 2020 in the Hog Barn (Lambs 1-2 and Goats 2-3) | Forms Due April 27, 2020 CANCELLED
For questions regarding the lamb weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Lamb Chair Darren Gates (937) 489-3583.
For questions regarding the goat weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Goat Chair Shelley Ha 937-214-4308
June 27th, 2020 at Sidney High School from 8 to 10 a.m. CANCELLED
- LETTER TO EXHIBITORS
For questions regarding rabbits, please contact Senior Fair Board Rabbit Chair Eric Garber (937) 638-1334.