Per the rules of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, all livestock exhibitors (market and breeding livestock) must either attend a Quality Assurance Program (QA) or successfully test out of QA in order to exhibit livestock at the Shelby County Junior Fair or the Ohio State Fair. A parent or guardian of all junior exhibitors (ages 8, 9, 10, and 11) must also attend one of the sessions. Intermediates and Seniors who have not already tested out can do so one hour prior to the start of each QA session. QA can be taken in-county or out-of-county. Those exhibitors who take QA out-of-county are responsible for reporting and verifying what session they attended, as well as when and where.
2019 Dates (all sessions will be held in the Beige Building at the Shelby Co. Fairgrounds)
Sunday, March 31: Test-outs from 12:30 to 1 p.m. | QA from 1 to 3 p.m. and First Year Exhibitor QA from 3 to 5 p.m.
Sunday, April 7: Test-outs from 3:30 to 4 p.m. | QA from 4 to 6 p.m.
Monday, April 8: Test-outs from 5:30 to 6 p.m. | QA from 6 to 8 p.m.
First Year Exhibitor QA: On Sunday, March 31 from 3 to 5 p.m., we will host an in-depth QA session that focuses on first-time animal exhibitors. We will thoroughly review forms, documentation, check-ins, weigh-ins, and other fair-specific information.
Quality Assurance Test Out Guidelines
- Youth ages 12-14 who pass the test can test out of their annual QA program for up to 3 years. Passing of this test only exempts attendance at QA until the member reaches a 4-H age of 15. At that time, they would take the 15-18 year old test.
- Youth ages 15-18 years of age who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program permanently.
- All ages are based on a member's 4-H age (the age that they are as of January 1 of the current year).
What will be on the Quality Assurance Test?
This year the test will primarily be over the Good Production Practices 7, 8 and 9 but other Good Production Practices will be included.
We recommend that members study their 4-H Project Resource Book, focusing on the Quality Assurance section of the book.
You can also use the following references to study:
- Introduction to Quality Assurance
- Good Production Practice 1
- Good Production Practice 2
- Good Production Practice 3
- Good Production Practice 4
- Good Production Practice 5
- Good Production Practice 6
- Good Production Practice 7
- Good Production Practice 8
- Good Production Practice 9
- Good Production Practice 10
Junior Fair Market Animal Tagging & Weigh-Ins
Weigh in & Tagging Date: January 13, 2019 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. in the Beef Barn (In case of inclement weather, back-up date is January 20, same time)
For questions regarding the beef weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Chairs Paul Monnier (937) 606-0941 or Chad Huelskamp (937) 394-4908.
Feeder Vaccination Dates: June 2, 2019 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Dairy Barn
Feeder Booster Vaccination Dates: June 23, 2019 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Weigh in & Tagging Date: May 5th, 2019 in the Hog Barn (Goats 1-2 and Lambs 2-3)
For questions regarding the lamb weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Lamb Chair Darren Gates (937) 489-3583.
For questions regarding the goat weigh-in, please contact Sale Committee Goat Chair Shelley Ha 937-214-4308
Rabbit Tattooing: June 22nd, 2019 at Sidney High School from 8 to 10 a.m. (MAP)
For questions regarding rabbits, please contact Senior Fair Board Rabbit Chair Eric Garber (937) 638-1334.